Re: GFS performance.

Ryan Golhar wrote:
This brings up an interesting question for me....We can 6 machines that host a bunch of virtual machines. I'd like to put the virtual machines on a shared SAN disk. If one of the physical machines goes down, another one will take over and host a virtual machine.

Does it make sense to use GFS to manage the SAN then? IF the 4x slowdown is there, then this may not be the way to go.

I would expect the performance on few large files (VM disk images) to suffer much, much less than this. You have quite a few chices for this sort of thing (GFS/GFS2, OCFS/OCFS2, VMFS), but generally, performance between them is pretty similar. And on VMs you'll be so virtual I/O bound that the speed of the underlying storage won't make any difference anyway.

Gordan