Re: GFS Tunables

Kevin Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 21:29 +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
Brandon Young wrote:

As for LVM snapshotting ... I am under the impression that those features are unavailable in GFS (and are slated for GFS2? Which is not "production ready", yet?) It has certainly occured to me to try that feature, if only it were available. Am I misinformed? Perhaps I need some more education on how exactly LVM mirroring will help me. I am *attempting* to approximate a traditional backup scheme, atleast on this particular filesystem. Am I correct in believing that I could snapshot a volume (assuming the feature is available) and run a traditional backup (using, say, rdiff-backup) in a shorter time than I can now, where I'm running it straight off a live GFS volume?
You can use CLVM (Cluser aware LVM) and create GFS on top of that volume. You can them use CLVM to take a snapshot of the block device, mount it read-only with lock_nolock and back that up. That should go at non-clustered FS speeds.

We don't have support for cluster snapshots as of yet even though it has
been on the todo list for about 5 years now :(.

Joy... My mistake. Sorry I mentioned it.

Gordan