Re: Load balancing clustered services

Both the RHCS page and your assessment are correct.  Keep in mind that RHCS / GFS provide the host framework for applications to leverage for high availability and/or scalability  -- simply installing and running them alone are not enough.

What you use for hardware, what your application is capable of doing within this environment, and its IMPLEMENTATION determine whether you are attempting to achieve high availability and/or scalability.  At the very least, you will have a better solution in place than running a single monolithic server.

A simple example, if you run a monolithic database instance, and simply want fail-over to another node, the resource group manager's policy for that clustered services can do this for you -- without any manual intervention -- such as moving its IP and disk resources and restarting the database.  That IS THE BEST availability you can get out of such a design.  And this does nothing to increase scalability.

But expand this use-case by implementing a database that was built for high availability -- such as Cache ECP or Oracle RAC -- then such an outage on one node (planned or unplanned) will be managed by RHCS / GFS architecture to provide for 100% uptime.  But, you also get scalability as a positive outcome from this same infrastructure AND implementation.

We are using RHCS / GFS to manage a Cache ECP environment.  The production application / database is not split yet into multiple tiers, but it is shadowed for quick fail-over.  Until it is broken up over several servers, we will never achieve ~100% uptime ... there will always be that downtime during service transitioning, planned or unplanned.

We are also using RHCS only to front-end Peoplesoft (BEA WebLogic) for high-availability, but implemented as an active-active server pair.  True, it also serves for scalability, even though a single server can easily handle our load.  But if something happens to one server (runaway process(es) from a bad script, bad application, etc.), we can shut it down without interrupting service.

Hope this helps.

Robert Hurst, Sr. Caché Administrator
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
1135 Tremont Street, REN-7
Boston, Massachusetts   02120-2140
617-754-8754 ∙ Fax: 617-754-8730 ∙ Cell: 401-787-3154