Re: GFS on fedora

Hi guys,

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Gordan Bobic wrote:

Oliveiros Cristina wrote:
According to what yum list said,
There is no way to install it through rpms, is my understanding correct?

Yes, that's the size of it. GFS1 simply doesn't ship with FC6+

There are a few reasons why GFS1 is not in Fedora anylonger.

The first and most important one:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#head-5d326feb10ebf0624361729239c58719e31b6f93

Fedora does not allow external kernel modules anylonger. GFS1 will never be upstream.

In order to run GFS1, a patch to the main kernel is required, and this patch will never be included upstream either. That makes it basically impossible for us to maintain a separate rpm repository to provide GFS1 without duplicating a lot of work in maintain an external kernel.

Fabio