Re: About GFS1 and I/O barriers.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now I agree that it would be nice to support barriers in GFS2, but it
won't solve any problems relating to ordering of I/O unless all of the
underlying device supports them too. See also Alasdair's response to the
thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/28/81

I'm not suggesting GFS1/2 should take this patch, considering their current states. However, you can't give people an impression, as your original reply implying, that GFS1/2 would not have this problem.

So although I'd like to see barrier support in GFS2, it won't solve any
problems for most people and really its a device/block layer issue at
the moment.

This part I agree ... better to attack this issue from volume manager than from filesystem.

-- Wendy