Re: 2-node tie-breaking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Lon Hohberger wrote:

Well, here's a cheap 'out' ;)
Ebay item # 250213910258
8 port WTI NPS for $70 + $15 s/h.

Indeed, that would be tempting if it wasn't on the wrong side of the
atlantic. A more local search for similar things doesn't seem to come up
with anything. :-(

*Don't flame me, i didn't want to spam the list with commerial stuff but
thought this might help you out*

If your interested in a powerswitch solution i would recommend you to look
at the solutions from www.lubenco.nl

They have 8 port (C13) 10 amp powerswitches with load monitoring and
snmp configuration support for about 117 euro a pice. (new) If your
willing to buy in bulk the price even drops well below 100 euro.

Guys, this is good stuff - the problem is we need to make an agent that
can talk to them before we can really solve Gordan's problem.  Does
anyone want to volunteer?   I'll write up a fence agent API "howto"
today ...

Thanks for all this, guys, much appreciated. :-)

I just had another thought. Most motherboards these days are ATX, which means ATX type "short-pins-to-power-on" power switches. That means that as a _REALLY_ cheap solution I could just get something like a small relay switch and wire it into the serial port. When a pin on RS232 goes high (e.g. DTR), it activates the switch. I think it would be pretty reliable, and the total cost of components would be pennies. The fence agent would also be a total of about 10 lines of code, too. :)

Can anyone think of why this wouldn't work? OK, it involves a bit of DIY, but it would work for a 2-node cluster. With more nodes, pulsing the power switch repeatedly might bring the node back up, which would be less than ideal if it's _really_ nastily intermittent. But since this isn't really scalable to cluster with more than 3 nodes (2 serial ports per node), it probably doesn't matter.

Gordan