Re: 2-node tie-breaking

Thanks for that. How could this be hooked from cluster.conf? I wasn't planning to use the heartbeat stuff.

Gordan

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Brian Kroth wrote:

A simple way might be to check for that case specifically and assign a
preference to the node you want to win.  For instance:

if $can_ping_internal_nodes \
	&& $can_ping_external_nodes \
	&& ! $can_ping_cluster_node; then

	if [ $HOSTNAME == node2 ]; then
		self_fence
	else
		steal_cluster_nodes_resources
	fi
fi

I know that you can do this via clever scoring in heartbeat [1], but I'm
not sure about rgmanager.

[1] linux-ha.org

Brian

gordan@xxxxxxxxxx <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

I've got a slightly peculiar problem. 2-node cluster acting as a load
balanced fail-over router. 3 NICs: public, private, cluster.
Cluster NICs are connected with a cross-over cable, the other two are on
switches. The cluster NIC is only used for DRBD/GFS/DLM and associated
things.

The failure mode that I'm trying to account for is the one of the cluster
NIC failing on one machine. On the public and privace networks, both
machines can still see everything (including each other). That means that a
tie-breaker based on other visible things will not work.

So, which machine gets fenced in the case of the cluster NIC failure (or
more likely, if the x-over cable falls out)?

Is there a sane, tested way to handle this condition? It would be quite
embarrasing if both, otherwise fully functional nodes, decided to shut
fence the other one off by shutting it down.

Thanks.

Gordan