Speeding up GFS on 1 node cluster

I currently have several machines I'm about to cluster using RHCS,
utilizing shared storage (XRAID w/ GFS).  I currently have another
existing XRAID which is mounted on one machine.  I need to move all
this data from this existing XRAID to the new GFS XRAID.  Right now, I
have a one-node cluster running.  This node has both XRAIDs mounted.
I am running an rsync job between them.  The transfer is writing at
about 25-35MB/s.

Anyhow, I need to speed up this initial sync.  Can I do this by
changing to a non-clustered locking, as only one node is running?
Part of this rsync is a huge set of small files.  I'm assuming I could
toy with gfs_tune to improve performance, as well.  Any advice is
appreciated.