Re: noatime

The main reason why performance improves with noatime (is the nodiratime flag supported?) is because it means no write happens for ever file read. That means no locking required, which is the main thing that slows down concurrent accesses. I don't know what the first-access issue might be, but noatime should help under heavy concurrent use.

Gordan