Re: iSCSI GFS

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, isplist@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Actually,  johannes had also mentioned the http://www.openfiler.com project
which seems to be pretty much what we've been talking about. Have you looked
at it?

That might help you out with the front end (exporting iSCSI devices onward), but from what the front page says, it doesn't look like it's going to set you up with the storage aggregation part. I could be wrong, though, I haven't had a chance to go through all the docs for OpenFiler yet.

I've been asking for information on the linux forums but can't seem to get an
answer about Apache. Wondering what Apache likes more. I know it can use
memory, but I'm not sure if multiple CPU's are worth using such as above. I
can't seem to find enough information on how to set up Apache to fully use the
CPU's and memory of the 8-way systems but it's easy enough to set up for best
performance on the smaller machines.

It'll use it as required unless they run out. It depends on your CGIs, Apache itself will always be quite light. If you have lots of requests being processed at any one time, lots of CPUs will help. If you have lots of CGIs requiring memory, it'll use the memory. The only way you'll find out is by throwing the expected mix of requests at it and seeing what it uses up first.

Gordan