HP-UX NFS client failures to a NFS cluster when GFS is the backing filesystem

Problem: HP-UX NFS client failures to a NFS cluster when GFS is the backing filesystem.

$ cp any_file /path/to/nfs/server/new_file
cp: cannot create /path/to/nfs/server/new_file: Permission denied
$ ls -l
---------- 1 owner group 0 Jan 17 10:01 new_file
$

Note: Permission denied error, and the file is created, 0 size with no permissions bits. Tested on CentOS 5.

My attempt to gather data on the problem:

A wireshark trace shows the HP-UX client make a NFS RPC CREATE (UNCHECKED, MODE=0) call and the server returns NFS3ERR_NOACCES. As this only happens when the server side filesystem is GFS and not when using ext3, I moved to the server side...

Looking at the server side it appears that nfsd calls vfs_create OK, but a later call to nfsd_setattr (I assume set the actual file permissions) fails. Attempting to trace what nfsd_setattr is doing, it seems to eventually call gfs_setattr and then generic_permission. The call to generic_permission fails with -EACCESS. Apparently due to owner not having any access mode bits set?

I am not a kernel type. I looked and ext3_setattr does not seem to use generic_permission. This problem would seem to make using GFS to build a clustered NFS server a problem (if you have HP-UX NFS clients!).
Anyone know why this is a problem when using GFS?

-Dan Goetzman

Note: I read linux-cluster in digest mode.