Re: GFS tuning advice sought

James Fidell wrote:

I have a 3-node cluster built on CentOS 5.1, fully updated, providing
Maildir mail spool filesystems to dovecot-based IMAP servers.  As it
stands GFS is in its default configuration -- no tuning has been done
so far.

Mostly, it's working fine.  Unfortunately we do have a few people with
tens of thousands of emails in single mailboxes who are seeing fairly
significant performance problems when fetching their email and in this
instance "make your mailbox smaller" isn't an acceptable solution :(

Is there any GFS tuning I can do which might help speed up access to
these mailboxes?

I have implemented similar mail systems in the past, and I hate to tell you this, but if you really have tens of thousands of emails in a single folder and you need to sift through them frequently, even a single-user-server with ext3 won't give you any kind of a sane performance over a WAN. Even on a 100Mb LAN, things will end up timing out, even without clustering.

You'll have to split the huge mail folders up into several smaller folders.

Gordan