Re: Small Cluster, Port Trunking, To use switch or not?

Hi,

For 802.3ad bonding mode, the switch needs to support lacp. Static trunking feature on the switch is not enough. In your case with no switch support, mode 6 or adaptive load balancing is a good option. Round robin is the only mode that will give you more than an interface worth of throughput on a single connection. But that needs some switch support. (like cisco etherchannel for example) Also there is additional overhead due to out of the order packets. The other modes will give better aggregate throughput.

Regards
Balagopal

Frankie Montenegro wrote:
Thanks. That will be very usefull when I start putting things together.

Did I understand this howto correctly: either way, switch or not, my
network devices need to be complient with this 802.3ad protocol if I
want to bond them.  RIght?

Well that's a bummer: I can't use  the network cards on board of my
"cheapo" motherboards, which means I have to buy 2 cards per node (
and the cheapest card with support of this
protocol was around 50$) . I guess I better forget about bonding then.

F.