Re: GFS and GFS2 : two questions: which is bettter; gfs_controld error

Ian Brown wrote:

gfs_mkfs -p lock_dlm -t myCLuster -j 32 /dev/cciss/c0d1p2
Few things:

First, not sure why gfs_mkfs let you get away without specifying filesystem-name (-t option) .. ideally a gfs_mkfs should be dispatched as: shell> gfs_mkfs -t mycluster:myfs -p lock_dlm -j 2 /dev/vg0/mygfs (see the ":" between the cluster name and fs name here ?).

Do a "man gfs_mkfs" to get the correct syntax of "-t" (locktable)

Second, I notice you didn't use (c)lvm partition but a cciss raw device. How many nodes do you have in the cluster (or how many nodes do you plan to access this particular filesystem) ? If it is planned for multiple nodes access, please use (cluster version of) LVM (clvm). If this is for single node access, it is probably better using "-p nolock" protocol but "-p lock_dlm" should work fine.

mount /dev/cciss/c0d1p2 /mnt/gfs

The errors I see in the console are:
/sbin/mount.gfs: lock_dlm_join: gfs_controld join error: -22
/sbin/mount.gfs: error mounting lockproto lock_dlm

The error I see in kernel log is:
gfs_controld[32629]: mount: not in default fence domain
In theory, when you do "mount", the gfs-kmod should be loaded automatically (assume "service cman start" has been run). Check your /etc/cluster/cluster.conf file please! Also make sure "fenced" is up and runnning ("service cman start" should bring it up) when you do the mount.

I want to add that the cman service is started succesfully as the
kernel log shows.

I want also to add that "service cman start" performs modprbe of gfs2 module
and not gfs module !

Namely, I ran rmmod gfs; then, after :
service cman stop
and
rmmod lock_dlm
rmmod gfs2

running  lsmod | grep gfs2 shows that
no gfs2 is loaded,
and after "service cman start" I see by
lsmod | grep gfs2
gfs2                  522965  1 lock_dlm

which means that starting the cman service performed modprobe/insmod
of gfs2 and lock_dlm

Is this how things should be?

Yes, it was the original design for RHEL5 (i.e., gfs2 is the default). However, you really shouldn't worry about this module loading business. The "mount" should be able to find the correct module and load the module behind the scene. If your gfs-kmod correctly exists in /lib/modules directory, then I don't have goold clues why things go wrong (it works for me). Open a service ticket if you have RHEL subscription (so support folks can look into the details). Or maybe GFS team's other team member can spot anything that I've missed ?

-- Wendy