Re: Fenced node never reboots properly

Lon,

The only thing I changed is the line

my $powerop_mode = VM_POWEROP_MODE_HARD

instead of 'soft'. The machine is now correctly power-cycled and comes back online.

The last issue I am still struggling with is the fact that the heartbeat sometimes stops. In answer to a previous post: vmware-tools are installed and running.

Based upon further investigation I must now conclude that the ESX-layer cannot throttle the VCPU up in time - the test-machines are mainly idle and VMWare (correctly) drops the amount of CPU-cycles allocated to this machine. When some process now suddenly needs more CPU power the machine 'chokes' - the 'virtual' load suddenly peaks and the heartbeat just doesn't execute (for example, we see fencing occur when the nightly cron jobs execute). I've tried renicing the cman_hbeat process but this also does not prove effective. I'm aware that setting a larger post-fail delay may solve the problem, but I'd prefer this value to be 0 in case of a real failure.

Regards,
Jeroen