Re: MySQL + RH Cluster + GFS

On 12/1/06, Rick Blundell <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mehdi Sarmadi wrote:
>   Where could I find out more about Clustering MySQL using redhat
> solutions/models and Pros/Cons?

Theres not much out conclusive information out there on the subject. The
best place is on the mysql mailing lists, where its discussed a few
times. Seems the mysql developers aren't specifically interested in GFS
and the GFS developers aren't specifically interested in mysql.

More then likely you are looking to run two mysqld servers on the same
filesystem. This seems to work fine for myisam table engines but innodb
has file locking issues which will prevent both mysqld's from being able
to manage the table concurrently.

Mysql devs aren't too interested in GFS because their NDB solves this
"problem" (redundant mysqld's) without a shared filesystem. But, this
locks you to the ndb storage engine which may be incompatible with some
applications.

Hope this helps.

Rick Blundell

I wouldn't even consider MySQL's clustering options until 5.1. Until
then their clustering solution is an in RAM only solution.

If you do a mailing list search on my name you should be able to find
a pretty recent thread about GFS MySQL clustering.