Re: Duplicate Volumes, GFS fail over

isplist@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
One of the reasons I went with fibre channel was because of the redundancy it can give me as well as the centralized storage. There is one aspect of this I've not found any solutions to yet however in dealing with GFS, redundant paths.

As you can see, I have 4 storage devices, three of which have dual paths in case of failure. The problem is that the system thinks this is duplicate and possibly an error as it sees it, I'm not sure. I thought I would ask before trying to put the dual paths to use. Here is an output;

Found duplicate PV TB3VUn1m3CBOj8dRnRjAbRuD3ZIyBp7t: using /dev/sde1 not /dev/sda1 Found duplicate PV uXjYfhj4NlvQphf1DIz28psAAkFmJRaM: using /dev/sdf1 not /dev/sdb1 Found duplicate PV 3mlyNROBtWp4a3LXQEKBiCwk3pJear7u: using /dev/sdg1 not /dev/sdc1
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup01/rimfire' [572.72 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup04/web' [318.85 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup03/qm' [745.76 GB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/VolGroup02/sql' [745.76 GB] inherit

I don't have a dual path on the VolGroup01 device because it's just manual storage I use here and then.

The question is; How should I deal with the dual paths and how do I set up volumes/GFS to be fault tolerant in this respect. If one path fails, I'll want GFS to fail over to the second path to the same storage.

Mike
use the device-mapper-multipath package You would do it beore you create your lvm volumes. Depending on the equipment it can be as easy as just removing the blacklist in the /etc/multipath.conf, but sometimes it might take contacting your vendor (like i had to w/ emc) to find the best setup to run the multipath cleanly.

-greg

--
http://www.gvtc.com
--

“only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.” -anonymous