Re: Multiple Logical Volumes

isplist@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Although, I'm now looking at the diskless booting ideas which might make a lot more sense for my needs. From what I can tell, I can have multiple roots even with a single combined storage system? I'm not sure, still reading, need to try some basic two node stuff maybe.

Thanks very much, another one for my notes.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Well, I have some experience with this as well, although that was in my pre-GFS days.
I was using nfs to serve multiple root directories.  So here's what I'd do:

1. Set up your dhcp server to dole out unique IP addresses to your clients based on
MAC address.
2. Mount your GFS partition as /tftpboot
3. In your /tftpboot, create root directories for your clients, and put what you need there. In my case, I had tiny root partitions and my diskless clients were tiny (literally) embedded devices that had to run something like Denx's ELDK, The Embedded Linux Development Kit, (google it) which included tools to get their kernel from tftpboot, and boot from the tftp server. My client root file systems also had separate mount points for commonly shared areas that didn't tend to change a lot: /lib, /usr/lib, /bin, /sbin, and several more, etc., so that if I changed
one, I changed them all.

You still need a minimal set of these libs and such on the client root fs in order to boot far enough to
where the fstab can actually mount these things though.

Also, the clients need to have enough smarts to each mount their OWN root partition
so they don't bump into one another.
4. Of course you need nfs serving out the data, and xinetd accepting tftp connections.

For extra credit, you could use a NFS failover service through rgmanager for your NFS server. :) I wrote a little bit about this in my NFS/GFS Cookbook, but not in much detail.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite