Re: dedicated heartbeat LAN and documentation

sun sadm wrote:
Hello colleague

How to configure a dedicated LAN (for example eth3) as heartbeat? We
don't wish heartbeat over public LAN.

Second: the official  documentation (Red Hat Cluster Suite Configuring
and Managing a Cluster) is very bad. Are there additional documents?

Nico

Hi Nico

1 the heartbeat happens over the interface which carries the IP which resolves to the node names. There is no way to have another or an aditional heartbeat interfaces configured as was the case with clumanager in RHEL AS 2.1. Your best solution to have a redundant heartbeat interface (albeit over your primary/public interface) is to use channel bonding. Perhaps you can configure your nodes to communicate over the non-public LAN but have VIPs and services running on the public LAN. I have never tried this, and we have decided to live with heartbeat over public LAN, using a non-default multicast address: cman sends heartbeat info every 5 seconds to 225.0.0.1 (what we configured) or the broadcast address on port 6809. This traffic is minimal, to a non-standard port, and avoiding it over public LAN might be a major hassle.

note (aside): RHEL 2.1 had heartbeating capability over serial, non-public LAN and the primary LAN (as well as quorum partition communication), which lessened the impact of any of the other channels going down).

2 I have the following list of resources (apart from the official docs) for own internal use:

Project page
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/

Cluster Suite, GFS project FAQ
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html

Red Hat Cluster Suite NFS Cookbook
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/doc/nfscookbook.pdf

Indepth discussion on Failover domains
http://people.redhat.com/lhh/fd.html

GFS page at DataCore (somewhat old, but still has information which might be useful)
http://open.datacore.ch/page/GFS

GFS wiki (non-Red Hat maintained)
http://gfs.wikidev.net/Main_Page

You are right, the official Cluster Suite documentation is definitely not what it should be. There are numerous bugzilla entries open against the docs. Upon enquiring about the state of Cluster Suite documentation with my Red Hat representative, he said that there is something in the works, but could not give me an ETA on when the docs will be re-released. The linux-cluster (this list) archives are definite your friend. You can also try #linux-cluster on irc.freenode.org, even though this channel has (IMHO) more developer than user activity.

Riaan
begin:vcard
fn:Riaan van Niekerk
n:van Niekerk;Riaan
org:Obsidian Systems;Obsidian Red Hat Consulting
email;internet:riaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Systems Architect
tel;work:+27 11 792 6500
tel;fax:+27 11 792 6522