Re: About CS global shutdown

Alain Moulle wrote:
Hi

I wonder what is the best way to stop safely the CS 4 on a big amount
HA pairs, from a management node,  with the idea to shutdown
all nodes after that :

Is it better to use :
1/
pdsh "clusvcadm -l" launched on all nodes
then
pdsh "clushutdown" launched on all nodes
then
proceed to poweroff on all nodes.

or
2/
pdsh "service rgmanager stop" launched on all nodes
pdsh "service fenced stop" launched on all nodes
pdsh "service cman stop" launched on all nodes
pdsh "service ccsd stop" launched on all nodes

I think that 1/ is more safe, because in 2/ some applications
could begin to failover just before the 2nd node of a pair
receives at its turn the stop commands .
The 1/ avoids any attempt to failover for nothing.

Am I right ?
Thanks
Alain
Hi Alain,

I'm kind of new to this (so I could be wrong), but here are my beliefs:

Option 1 only takes care of stopping the rgmanager services running on the
cluster.  (Besides, clushutdown already does a clusvcadm -l for you).  It
really doesn't inform the rest of the cluster the intent of the node going down.

Option 2 shouldn't really be necessary, because reboot or halt should
execute the proper service shutdowns in the proper order.  However, it
also doesn't inform the rest of the cluster the intent of the node going down.

You want to inform the rest of the cluster that they're going down, otherwise
some of the nodes may start trying to fence the other nodes going down, etc.
Perhaps you should consider something like:

pdsh "clushutdown" launched on all nodes
pdsh "cman_tool leave remove" launched on all nodes
pdsh "shutdown" or "halt" launched on all nodes

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite

--