Re: a basic question

On 7/4/06, Patrick Caulfield <pcaulfie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Is GFS suitable?
>> >
>> > In other words, a host can be a server and a client to gfs at the
>> same time?

>> No. you need shared storage for GFS.
>
> Won't gnbd exports work here?

They could do. but if you have 20 nodes each with their own storage you'd need
to export every disk to every other server.

Then what do you do? If you aggregate them using LVM you end up with 20 points
of failure for your filesystem !

Very true. Till we have cluster mirroring this is obviously the worst
idea. I was however under the impression that mirroring support was
now available (maybe not for production?).

When cluster mirroring is ready this will help somewhat, but it's nowhere near
the same thing as distributing the load over 20 machines and keeping it reliable.

Absolutely. Maybe Lustre (lustre.org) makes sense here for Giovanni?
--
Mustafa A. Hashmi
mahashmi@xxxxxxxxx

--