Re: rhcs doubts.

Allyson - Listas wrote:

Lon Hohberger wrote:

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:27 -0300, Allyson - Listas wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm new at redhat cluster suite. Could Anybody help me in some questions?

1st) I installed rhcs on 2 virtual machines and create a new cluster, setup a manual fence, a failvoer domain, create a IP resource and a service that uses just that IP for tests. Well, I'd like to know how can I force a failover of the service between nodes. This option is not available at system-config-cluster that allow just disable and enable the service.

Drag it to the other node in the gui.
--> I couldn't find this option at gui, but i find how to do it at command line..

Just grab the service you want to move in the management view, and drag it to the node you want it to run on in the upper half of the GUI. :-)

-j

[root@cs02 /]# clustat
Member Status: Quorate

 Member Name                              Status
 ------ ----                              ------
 cs01.example.com                         Online, rgmanager
 cs02.example.com                         Online, Local, rgmanager

 Service Name         Owner (Last)                   State
 ------- ----         ----- ------                   -----
 vip50                cs02.example.com               started
 oracle-ha-fs         cs02.example.com               started
[root@cs02 /]# clusvcadm -r oracle-ha-fs -m cs01.example.com
Trying to relocate oracle-ha-fs to cs01.example.com...success
[root@cs02 /]# clusvcadm -r vip50 -m cs01.example.com
Trying to relocate vip50 to cs01.example.com...success
[root@cs02 /]# clustat
Member Status: Quorate

 Member Name                              Status
 ------ ----                              ------
 cs01.example.com                         Online, rgmanager
 cs02.example.com                         Online, Local, rgmanager

 Service Name         Owner (Last)                   State
 ------- ----         ----- ------                   -----
 vip50                cs01.example.com               started
 oracle-ha-fs         cs01.example.com               started

I noticed that the ip service created is not a virtual interface like eth0:1, but it was working because I could ping it, Is it Normal?

Yes, try "/sbin/ip addr list", which is noted in the documentation.

tks

2nd) What is the real fuction of a fence device?

Prevent data corruption in the event of a live-hang of a node with
outstanding dirty buffers.

3rd) How can I setup a quorum device, and isn't necessary for a failover service? I read that it was needed at rhel3 but at rhel4 is not anymore, could you explain me that.

What do you need to know?  It's not needed because of the way CMAN
recovers - see

http://people.redhat.com/teigland/sca.pdf

-- Lon

--