Re: [Linux-cluster] OOM failures with GFS, NFS and Samba on a cluster with RHEL3-AS

Michael Conrad Tadpol Tilstra wrote:
On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 01:45:28PM -0500, Jonathan Woytek wrote:

Additional information:

I enabled full output on lock_gulmd, since my dead top sessions would often show that process near the top of the list around the time of crashes. The machine was rebooted around 10:50AM, and was down again at

Not suprising that lock_gulmd is working hard when gfs is under heavy
use.  Its it busy processing all those lock requests.  What would be
more useful from gulm for this than the logging messages, is to query
the locktable every so often for its stats.
`gulm_tool getstats <master>:lt000`
The 'locks = ###' line is how many lock structures are current held.
gulm is very greedy about memory, and you are running the lock servers
on the same nodes you're mounting from.

Here are the stats from the master lock_gulmd lt000:

I_am = Master
run time = 9436
pid = 2205
verbosity = Default
id = 0
partitions = 1
out_queue = 0
drpb_queue = 0
locks = 20356
unlocked = 17651
exclusive = 15
shared = 2690
deferred = 0
lvbs = 17661
expired = 0
lock ops = 107354
conflicts = 0
incomming_queue = 0
conflict_queue = 0
reply_queue = 0
free_locks = 69644
free_lkrqs = 60
used_lkrqs = 0
free_holders = 109634
used_holders = 20366
highwater = 1048576

Something keeps eating away at lowmem, though, and I still can't figure out what exactly it is.

also, just to see if I read the first post right, you have
samba->nfs->gfs?

If I understand your arrows correctly, I have a filesystem mounted with GFS that I'm sharing via NFS to another machine that is sharing it via Samba. I've closed that link, though, to try to eliminate that as a problem. So now I'm serving the GFS filesystem directly through Samba.

jonathan

--
Jonathan Woytek                 w: 412-681-3463         woytek+@xxxxxxx
NREC Computing Manager          c: 412-401-1627         KB3HOZ