Re: Advice on cgroup rstat lock

On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 01:08:40PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> Let move this discussion upstream.
>
> On 22/03/2024 19.32, Yosry Ahmed wrote:
> > [..]
> > >
> > > I've only done the 6.6 backport, and these were in 6.5/6.6.
>
> Given I have these in my 6.6 kernel. You are basically saying I should
> be able to avoid IRQ-disable for the lock, right?
>
> My main problem with the global cgroup_rstat_lock[3] is it disables IRQs
> and (thereby also) BH/softirq (spin_lock_irq).  This cause production
> issues elsewhere, e.g. we are seeing network softirq "not-able-to-run"
> latency issues (debug via softirq_net_latency.bt [5]).
>
>   [3]
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.9-rc3/source/kernel/cgroup/rstat.c#L10
>   [5] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/latency/softirq_net_latency.bt
>

> > > And between 6.1 to 6.6 we did observe an improvement in this area.
> > > (Maybe I don't have to do the 6.1 backport if the 6.6 release plan progress)
> > >
> > > I've had a chance to get running in prod for 6.6 backport.
> > > As you can see in attached grafana heatmap pictures, we do observe an
> > > improved/reduced softirq wait time.
> > > These softirq "not-able-to-run" outliers is *one* of the prod issues we
> > > observed.  As you can see, I still have other areas to improve/fix.
> >
> > I am not very familiar with such heatmaps, but I am glad there is an
> > improvement with 6.6 and the backports. Let me know if there is
> > anything I could do to help with your effort.
>
> The heatmaps give me an overview, but I needed a debugging tool, so I
> developed some bpftrace scripts [1][2] I'm running on production.
> To measure how long time we hold the cgroup rstat lock (results below).
> Adding ACME and Daniel as I hope there is an easier way to measure lock
> hold time and congestion. Notice tricky release/yield in
> cgroup_rstat_flush_locked[4].

Have you tried:

root@number:~# echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
root@number:~# perf lock contention -b find / > /dev/null
 contended   total wait     max wait     avg wait         type   caller

         8     16.32 s       7.08 s       2.04 s      spinlock   tick_do_update_jiffies64+0x25
         2      1.58 s       1.58 s     787.88 ms     spinlock   raw_spin_rq_lock_nested+0x1c
        19    165.77 us     24.93 us      8.72 us      rwsem:R   __btrfs_tree_read_lock+0x1b
        17    103.15 us     16.31 us      6.07 us      rwsem:R   __btrfs_tree_read_lock+0x1b
         3     21.45 us      7.88 us      7.15 us      rwsem:R   __btrfs_tree_read_lock+0x1b
         1     10.62 us     10.62 us     10.62 us     spinlock   raw_spin_rq_lock_nested+0x1c
         1      5.57 us      5.57 us      5.57 us      rwsem:R   __btrfs_tree_read_lock+0x1b
         1      5.49 us      5.49 us      5.49 us     spinlock   tick_do_update_jiffies64+0x25
root@number:~# perf lock contention -b find / > /dev/null
 contended   total wait     max wait     avg wait         type   caller

         1      5.91 us      5.91 us      5.91 us      rwsem:R   __btrfs_tree_read_lock+0x1b
root@number:~#

?

There are other modes of operation:

root@number:~# perf lock contention --help

 Usage: perf lock contention [<options>]

    -a, --all-cpus        System-wide collection from all CPUs
    -b, --use-bpf         use BPF program to collect lock contention stats
    -C, --cpu <cpu>       List of cpus to monitor
    -E, --entries <n>     display this many functions
    -F, --field <contended,wait_total,wait_max,avg_wait>
                          output fields (contended / wait_total / wait_max / wait_min / avg_wait)
    -G, --cgroup-filter <CGROUPS>
                          Filter specific cgroups
    -k, --key <wait_total>
                          key for sorting (contended / wait_total / wait_max / wait_min / avg_wait)
    -l, --lock-addr       show lock stats by address
    -L, --lock-filter <ADDRS/NAMES>
                          Filter specific address/symbol of locks
    -M, --map-nr-entries <num>
                          Max number of BPF map entries
    -o, --lock-owner      show lock owners instead of waiters
    -p, --pid <pid>       Trace on existing process id
    -S, --callstack-filter <NAMES>
                          Filter specific function in the callstack
    -t, --threads         show per-thread lock stats
    -x, --field-separator <separator>
                          print result in CSV format with custom separator
    -Y, --type-filter <FLAGS>
                          Filter specific type of locks
        --lock-cgroup     show lock stats by cgroup
        --max-stack <num>
                          Set the maximum stack depth when collecting lock contention, Default: 8
        --stack-skip <n>  Set the number of stack depth to skip when finding a lock caller, Default: 4
        --tid <tid>       Trace on existing thread id (exclusive to --pid)

root@number:~#

Looking at:

git log tools/perf/util/bpf_skel/lock_contention.bpf.c tools/perf/builtin-lock.c

Will show you more examples and details about its implementation that
may help in tailoring it to your needs.

- Arnaldo

> [...]
> [16K, 32K)        542648 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> [32K, 64K)        202810 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> [64K, 128K)       134564 |@@@@@@@@@      |
> [128K, 256K)       72870 |@@@@@      |
> [256K, 512K)       56914 |@@@      |
> [512K, 1M)         83140 |@@@@@      |
> [1M, 2M)          170514 |@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> [2M, 4M)          396304 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> [4M, 8M)          755537
> |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@|
> [8M, 16M)         231222 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> [16M, 32M)         76370 |@@@@@      |
> [32M, 64M)          1043 |      |
> [64M, 128M)           12 |      |
>

> For the unpatched kernel we see more events in 4ms to 8ms bucket than
> any other bucket.
> For patched kernel, we clearly see a significant reduction of events in
> the 4 ms to 64 ms area, but we still have some events in this area.  I'm
> very happy to see these patches improves the situation.  But for network
> processing I'm not happy to see events in area 16ms to 128ms area.  If
> we can just avoid disabling IRQs/softirq for the lock, I would be happy.
>
> How far can we go... could cgroup_rstat_lock be converted to a mutex?
>
> --Jesper
>
>  [1] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/latency/cgroup_rstat_latency.bt
>  [2] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/latency/cgroup_rstat_latency_steroids.bt
>  [3]
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.9-rc3/source/kernel/cgroup/rstat.c#L10
>  [4]
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.9-rc3/source/kernel/cgroup/rstat.c#L226
> cgroup_rstat_flush_locked
>  [5] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/latency/softirq_net_latency.bt
>

> Backported to 6.6
>
> List of **main** patches address issue - to backport for 6.6:
>  - 508bed884767 mm: memcg: change flush_next_time to flush_last_time
>    - v6.8-rc1~180^2~205
>  - e0bf1dc859fd mm: memcg: move vmstats structs definition above flushing
> code
>    - v6.8-rc1~180^2~204
>  - 8d59d2214c23 mm: memcg: make stats flushing threshold per-memcg
>    - v6.8-rc1~180^2~203
>  - b00684722262 mm: workingset: move the stats flush into
> workingset_test_recent()
>    - v6.8-rc1~180^2~202
>  - 7d7ef0a4686a mm: memcg: restore subtree stats flushing
>    - v6.8-rc1~180^2~201
>
> And extra (thanks Longman)
>
>  - e76d28bdf9ba ("cgroup/rstat: Reduce cpu_lock hold time in
> cgroup_rstat_flush_locked()")
>   - v6.8-rc1~182^2~8
>
> And list of patches that contain **fixes** for backports above:
>  - 9cee7e8ef3e3 mm: memcg: optimize parent iteration in
> memcg_rstat_updated()
>    - v6.8-rc4~3^2~12
>  - 13ef7424577f mm: memcg: don't periodically flush stats when memcg is

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]