Re: Advice on cgroup rstat lock

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 8:37 AM Waiman Long <longman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/9/24 07:08, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> > Let move this discussion upstream.
> >
> > On 22/03/2024 19.32, Yosry Ahmed wrote:
> >> [..]

> > Given I have these in my 6.6 kernel. You are basically saying I should
> > be able to avoid IRQ-disable for the lock, right?
> >
> > My main problem with the global cgroup_rstat_lock[3] is it disables IRQs
> > and (thereby also) BH/softirq (spin_lock_irq).  This cause production
> > issues elsewhere, e.g. we are seeing network softirq "not-able-to-run"
> > latency issues (debug via softirq_net_latency.bt [5]).
> >
> >   [3]
> > https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.9-rc3/source/kernel/cgroup/rstat.c#L10
> >   [5]
> > https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/latency/softirq_net_latency.bt

> >> I am not very familiar with such heatmaps, but I am glad there is an
> >> improvement with 6.6 and the backports. Let me know if there is
> >> anything I could do to help with your effort.
> >
> > The heatmaps give me an overview, but I needed a debugging tool, so I
> > developed some bpftrace scripts [1][2] I'm running on production.
> > To measure how long time we hold the cgroup rstat lock (results below).
> > Adding ACME and Daniel as I hope there is an easier way to measure lock
> > hold time and congestion. Notice tricky release/yield in
> > cgroup_rstat_flush_locked[4].
> >
> > My production results on 6.6 with backported patches (below signature)
> > vs a our normal 6.6 kernel, with script [2]. The `@lock_time_hist_ns`
> > shows how long time the lock+IRQs were disabled (taking into account it
> > can be released in the loop [4]).
> >
> > Patched kernel:
> >
> > 21:49:02  time elapsed: 43200 sec
> > @lock_time_hist_ns:
> > [2K, 4K)              61 |      |
> > [4K, 8K)             734 |      |
> > [8K, 16K)         121500 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [16K, 32K)        385714
> > |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@|
> > [32K, 64K)        145600 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [64K, 128K)       156873 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [128K, 256K)      261027 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ |
> > [256K, 512K)      291986 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [512K, 1M)        101859 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [1M, 2M)           19866 |@@      |
> > [2M, 4M)           10146 |@      |
> > [4M, 8M)           30633 |@@@@      |
> > [8M, 16M)          40365 |@@@@@      |
> > [16M, 32M)         21650 |@@      |
> > [32M, 64M)          5842 |      |
> > [64M, 128M)            8 |      |
> >
> > And normal 6.6 kernel:
> >
> > 21:48:32  time elapsed: 43200 sec
> > @lock_time_hist_ns:
> > [1K, 2K)              25 |      |
> > [2K, 4K)            1146 |      |
> > [4K, 8K)           59397 |@@@@      |
> > [8K, 16K)         571528 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [16K, 32K)        542648 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [32K, 64K)        202810 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@      |
> > [64K, 128K)       134564 |@@@@@@@@@      |
> [...]

I think we should avoid flushing from atomic contexts going forward
anyway tbh. It's just too much work to do with IRQs disabled, and we
observed hard lockups before in worst case scenarios.

I think one problem that was discussed before is that flushing is
exercised from multiple contexts and could have very high concurrency
(e.g. from reclaim when the system is under memory pressure). With a
mutex, the flusher could sleep with the mutex held and block other
threads for a while.

I vaguely recall experimenting locally with changing that lock into a
mutex and not liking the results, but I can't remember much more. I
could be misremembering though.

Currently, the lock is dropped in cgroup_rstat_flush_locked() between
CPU iterations if rescheduling is needed or the lock is being
contended (i.e. spin_needbreak() returns true). I had always wondered
if it's possible to introduce a similar primitive for IRQs? We could
also drop the lock (and re-enable IRQs) if IRQs are pending then.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]