Re: EOPNOTSUPP while trying to enable memory on cgroup.subtree_control

Hello.

On Thu, Dec 07, 2023 at 11:25:09AM +0000, donoban <donoban@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 'cgroup.type' is "domain threaded", I'm not sure if it affects.

It does. Memory controller cannot be passed down to a threaded subtree (i.e. you
only get memcg for the whole `docker` subtree) because memory controller
is not threaded (e.g. two threads that share memory space but could be
in two different cgroups make no sense for such a controller).

> Any clue? Is there some bug here or could be some problem with kernel
> build/config?

And why your cgroup subtree is threaded? I suspect because of some
threaded controllers were passed down [1] the tree while there are also some
internal node processes (see cgroups(7) paragraph beginning with: "The
second way of creating a threaded subtree").

To get out of this, your docker(?) needs to migrate all processes down
from `docker` cgroup before enabling the memory controller.

HTH,
Michal

[1] `cat /sys/fs/cgroup/docker/cgroup.subtree_control` should tell you

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]