Re: [RFC 0/6] tracking fd counts per cgroup

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 05:26:41PM -0700, Tycho Andersen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At Netflix, we have a "canary" framework that will run test versions of
> an application and automatically detect anomalies in various metrics. We
> also have two "fleets", one full of virtual machines, and one that is a
> multi-tenant container environment.
>
> On our full-VM fleet, one of the metrics we analyze is the number of open file
> descriptors, from /proc/sys/fs/file-nr. However, no equivalent exists for the
> multi-tenant container fleet, which has lead to several production issues.
>
> This idea is not new of course [1], but hopefully the existence of the new misc
> cgroup will make it more tenable.
>
> I'm not really tied to any of the semantics in this series (e.g. threads could
> be double counted even with a shared table), and am open to implementing this
> in other ways if it makes more sense.

As already raised by Christian, if the goal is monitoring, you should be
able to do that easily with BPF.

Thanks.

--
tejun

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]