Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Reducing zombie memcgs

Chris Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 09:58:56PM +1000, Alistair Popple wrote:
>>
>> Chris Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > Hi T.J.,

>> > I am also interested in this topic. T.J. and I have some offline
>> > discussion about this. We have some proposals to solve this
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > I will share the write up here for the up coming LSF/MM discussion.
>>
>> Unfortunately I won't be attending LSF/MM in person this year but I am
>
> Will you be able to join virtually?

I should be able to join afternoon sessions virtually.

>> interested in this topic as well from the point of view of limiting
>> pinned pages with cgroups. I am hoping to revive this patch series soon:
>

>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/cover.c238416f0e82377b449846dbb2459ae9d7030c8e.1675669136.git-series.apopple@xxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> The main problem with this series was getting agreement on whether to
>> add pinning as a separate cgroup (which is what the series currently
>> does) or whether it should be part of a per-page memcg limit.
>>
>> The issue with per-page memcg limits is what to do for shared
>> mappings. The below suggestion sounds promising because the pins for
>> shared pages could be charged to the smemcg. However I'm not sure how it
>> would solve the problem of a process in cgroup A being able to raise the
>> pin count of cgroup B when pinning a smemcg page which was one of the
>> reason I introduced a new cgroup controller.
>
> Now that I think of it, I can see the pin count memcg as a subtype of
> smemcg.
>
> The smemcg can have a limit as well, when it add to a memcg, the operation
> raise the pin count smemcg charge over the smemcg limit will fail.

I'm not sure that works for the pinned scenario. If a smemcg already has
pinned pages adding it to another memcg shouldn't raise the pin count of
the memcg it's being added to. The pin counts should only be raised in
memcg's of processes actually requesting the page be pinned. See below
though, the idea of borrowing seems helpful.

So for pinning at least I don't see a per smemcg limit being useful.

> For the detail tracking of shared/unshared behavior, the smemcg can model it
> as a step 2 feature.
>
> There are four different kind of operation can perform on a smemcg:
>
> 1) allocate/charge memory. The charge will add on the per smemcg charge
> counter, check against the per smemcg limit. ENOMEM if it is over the limit.
>
> 2) free/uncharge memory. Similar to above just subtract the counter.
>
> 3) share/mmap already charged memory. This will not change the smemcg charge
> count, it will add to a per <smemcg, memcg> borrow counter. It is possible to
> put a limit on that counter as well, even though I haven't given too much thought
> of how useful it is. That will limit how much memory can mapped from the smemcg.

I would like to see the idea of a borrow counter fleshed out some more
but this sounds like it could work for the pinning scenario.

Pinning could be charged to the per <smemcg, memcg> borrow counter and
the pin limit would be enforced against that plus the anonymous pins.

Implementation wise we'd need a way to lookup both the smemcg of the
struct page and the memcg that the pinning task belongs to.

> 4) unshare/unmmap already charged memory. That will reduce the per <smemcg, memcg>
> borrow counter.

Actually this is where things might get a bit tricky for pinning. We'd
have to reduce the pin charge when a driver calls put_page(). But that
implies looking up the borrow counter / <smemcg, memcg> pair a driver
charged the page to.

I will have to give this idea some more tought though. Most drivers
don't store anything other than the struct page pointers, but my series
added an accounting struct which I think could reference the borrow
counter.

> Will that work for your pin memory usage?

I think it could help. I will give it some thought.

>> > Shared Memory Cgroup Controllers
>> >
>> > = Introduction
>> >
>> > The current memory cgroup controller does not support shared memory
>> > objects. For the memory that is shared between different processes, it
>> > is not obvious which process should get charged. Google has some
>> > internal tmpfs “memcg=” mount option to charge tmpfs data to a
>> > specific memcg that’s often different from where charging processes
>> > run. However it faces some difficulties when the charged memcg exits
>> > and the charged memcg becomes a zombie memcg.
>> > Other approaches include “re-parenting” the memcg charge to the parent
>> > memcg. Which has its own problem. If the charge is huge, iteration of
>> > the reparenting can be costly.
>> >
>> > = Proposed Solution
>> >
>> > The proposed solution is to add a new type of memory controller for
>> > shared memory usage. E.g. tmpfs, hugetlb, file system mmap and
>> > dma_buf. This shared memory cgroup controller object will have the
>> > same life cycle of the underlying shared memory.
>> >
>> > Processes can not be added to the shared memory cgroup. Instead the
>> > shared memory cgroup can be added to the memcg using a “smemcg” API
>> > file, similar to adding a process into the “tasks” API file.
>> > When a smemcg is added to the memcg, the amount of memory that has
>> > been shared in the memcg process will be accounted for as the part of
>> > the memcg “memory.current”.The memory.current of the memcg is make up
>> > of two parts, 1) the processes anonymous memory and 2) the memory
>> > shared from smemcg.
>> >
>> > When the memcg “memory.current” is raised to the limit. The kernel
>> > will active try to reclaim for the memcg to make “smemcg memory +
>> > process anonymous memory” within the limit.
>>
>> That means a process in one cgroup could force reclaim of smemcg memory
>> in use by a process in another cgroup right? I guess that's no different
>> to the current situation though.
>>
>> > Further memory allocation
>> > within those memcg processes will fail if the limit can not be
>> > followed. If many reclaim attempts fail to bring the memcg
>> > “memory.current” within the limit, the process in this memcg will get
>> > OOM killed.
>>
>> How would this work if say a charge for cgroup A to a smemcg in both
>> cgroup A and B would cause cgroup B to go over its memory limit and not
>> enough memory could be reclaimed from cgroup B? OOM killing a process in
>> cgroup B due to a charge from cgroup A doesn't sound like a good idea.
>
> If we separate out the charge counter with the borrow counter, that problem
> will be solved. When smemcg is add to memcg A, we can have a policy specific
> that adding the <smemcg, memcg A> borrow counter into memcg A's "memory.current".
>
> If B did not map that page, that page will not be part of <smemcg, memcg B>
> borrow count. B will not be punished.
>
> However if B did map that page, The <smemcg, memcg B> need to increase as well.
> B will be punished for it.
>
> Will that work for your example situation?

I think so, although I have been looking at this more from the point of
view of pinning. It sounds like we could treat pinning in much the same
way as mapping though.

>> > = Benefits
>> >
>> > The benefits of this solution include:
>> > * No zombie memcg. The life cycle of the smemcg match the share memory file system or dma_buf.
>>
>> If we added pinning it could get a bit messier, as it would have to hang
>> around until the driver unpinned the pages. But I don't think that's a
>> problem.
>

> That is exactly the reason pin memory can belong to a pin smemcg. You just need
> to model the driver holding the pin ref count as one of the share/mmap operation.
>
> Then the pin smemcg will not go away if there is a pending pin ref count on it.
>
> We have have different policy option on smemcg.
> For the simple usage don't care the per memcg borrow counter, it can add the
> smemcg's charge count to "memory.current".
>
> Only the user who cares about per memcg usage of a smemcg will need to maintain
> per <smemcg, memcg> borrow counter, at additional cost.

Right, I think pinning drivers will always have to care about the borrow
counter so will have to track that.

> Chris

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]