Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Reducing zombie memcgs

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 11:42 AM Waiman Long <longman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/25/23 07:36, Yosry Ahmed wrote:
> >   +David Rientjes +Greg Thelen +Matthew Wilcox

> >> I am very interested in attending this discussion, it's something that
> >> I have been actively looking into -- specifically recharging pages of
> >> offlined memcgs.

> > I was hoping I would bring a more complete idea to this thread, but
> > here is what I have so far.
> >
> > The idea is to recharge the memory charged to memcgs when they are
> > offlined. I like to think of the options we have to deal with memory
> > charged to offline memcgs as a toolkit. This toolkit includes:
> >
> > (a) Evict memory.
> >
> > This is the simplest option, just evict the memory.
> >
> > For file-backed pages, this writes them back to their backing files,
> > uncharging and freeing the page. The next access will read the page
> > again and the faulting process’s memcg will be charged.
> >
> > For swap-backed pages (anon/shmem), this swaps them out. Swapping out
> > a page charged to an offline memcg uncharges the page and charges the
> > swap to its parent. The next access will swap in the page and the
> > parent will be charged. This is effectively deferred recharging to the
> > parent.
> >
> > Pros:
> > - Simple.
> >
> > Cons:
> > - Behavior is different for file-backed vs. swap-backed pages, for
> > swap-backed pages, the memory is recharged to the parent (aka
> > reparented), not charged to the "rightful" user.
> > - Next access will incur higher latency, especially if the pages are active.
> >
> > (b) Direct recharge to the parent
> >
> > This can be done for any page and should be simple as the pages are
> > already hierarchically charged to the parent.
> >
> > Pros:
> > - Simple.
> >
> > Cons:
> > - If a different memcg is using the memory, it will keep taxing the
> > parent indefinitely. Same not the "rightful" user argument.
>
> Muchun had actually posted patch to do this last year. See
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220621125658.64935-10-songmuchun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#me9dbbce85e2f3c4e5f34b97dbbdb5f79d77ce147
>
> I am wondering if he is going to post an updated version of that or not.
> Anyway, I am looking forward to learn about the result of this
> discussion even thought I am not a conference invitee.

There are a couple of problems that were brought up back then, mainly
that memory will be reparented to the root memcg eventually,
practically escaping accounting. Shared resources may end up being
eventually unaccounted. Ideally, we can come up with a scheme where
the memory is charged to the real user, instead of just to the parent.

Consider the case where processes in memcg A and B are both using
memory that is charged to memcg A. If memcg A goes offline, and we
reparent the memory, memcg B keeps using the memory for free, taxing
A's parent, or the entire system if that's root.

Also, if there is a kernel bug and a page is being pinned
unnecessarily, those pages will never be reclaimed and will stick
around and eventually be reparented to the root memcg. If being
reparented to the root memcg is a legitimate action, you can't simply
tell apart if pages are sticking around just because they are being
used by someone or if there is a kernel bug.

> Thanks,
> Longman

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]