freezer cgroups: Forcing frozen memory to swap

Hi all,

I've been trying to search for some mechanism(s) to reclaim resident
memory of some frozen applications on a small embedded device. The
typical use case is to bring up an app and once backgrounded/dismissed
the idea is to freeze/thaw for faster resume/restart times.

The issue is that after starting/pausing several of these applications
(and subsequently freezing) memory begins dropping, and memory
thrashing begins. (I can stop the apps of course, but then that leads
to longer load times).

I've already got memory constraint issues, which led to adding a swap
partition. I've tried bumping the memory.swapiness to 100 within a
memory cgroup, and waiting a few seconds for kswapd to kick in before
freezing but since the app is running it only puts a handful of pages
into swap.

Some projects exist (crypopid(2) / CRIU) for dumping the process state
in userspace, but unless I'm missing something, I'd imagine there must
be some existing kernel mechanism (seems like a useful feature for
small memory constrained devices) within the freezer/memory cgroups
that can force all pages of the frozen process to a swap partition,
and restore on thaw.

Does this sort of  cgroup-level S4 (hibernate-to-disk) exist or even
just a mechanism to force a frozen process's pages to swap?

Thanks,
Tyler

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]