Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Split process across multiple schedulers?

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 04:49:29PM +0000, Olsson John wrote:
> By using cgroup you can delegate the authority to configure a subset
> of the hierarchy via rwx and user, group, others. By using the
> per-task interface you have to be root, right?

Yeah, deligation can be useful. However, given that the configuration would
need some automation / scripting anyway, it shouldn't be too difficult to
work around.

> Also, we want to separate the configuration of the threads from the
> application as it need to be deployed in different hardware scenarios.

The thing is, to put different threads of a process into different cgroups,
one has to know which threads are doing what, which is the same knowledge
needed to configure per-thread attributes.

> And we need to be able to easily replicate a configuration from one
> machine to another machine.

Again, I'm not sure how needing to put different threads into different
cgroups is much different.

> We also need to configure other aspects that cgroup allows us to do
> for the set of processes.

This one, I agree. There are controller features which aren't available
through regular thread interface such as bandwidth throttling.

> Since cgroup solves all of the above problems for us, why using
> something else? :)

Yeah, mostly curious from cgroup design POV. It'd be nice to support use
cases like this well but we likely don't wanna twist anything for it.

Thanks.

--
tejun

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]