Re: [Question] io cgroup subsystem threaded support

On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 01:06:45PM +0200, Odin Hultgren van der Horst wrote:
> Posted to both cgroups and linux-block
>
> Hi i read though some of the source code for cgroups, and from my understanding
> the io cgroup subsystem does not support threaded cgroups. So i had some questions
> regarding this.
>
>  - Is there any future plans for supporting threaded?

Not at the moment.

>  - What are the main hurdles in adding threaded support to the io cgroup subsystem?

The biggest is the fact that page cache pagse are owned by processes not
threads. A related issue is that writeback tracks ownership per inode with a
mechanism for transferring ownership when majority writer changes. Splitting
IO control per-thread would increase friction there. So, the summary is that
the kernel doesn't track related resource consumptions at thread
granularity.

Thanks.

--
tejun

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]