Re: Memory cgroup invokes OOM killer when there are a lot of dirty pages

On Wed 04-07-18 18:45:48, Petros Angelatos wrote:
> > I assume dd just tried to fault a code page in and that failed due to
> > the hard limit and unreclaimable memory. The reason why the memcg v1
> > oom throttling heuristic hasn't kicked in is that there are no pages
> > under writeback. This would match symptoms of the bug fixed by
> > 1c610d5f93c7 ("mm/vmscan: wake up flushers for legacy cgroups too") in
> > 4.16 but there might be more. You should have that fix already so there
> > must be something more in the game. You've said that you are using blkio
> > cgroup, right? What is the configuration? I strongly suspect that none
> > of the writeback has started because of the throttling.
>
> I'm only using a memory cgroup with no blkio restrictions so I'm not
> sure why writeback hasn't started. Another thing I noticed is that
> it's a lot harder to reproduce when the same amount of data is written
> in a single file versus many smaller files. That's why my original
> example code writes 500 files with 1MB of data.
>
> Your mention of writeback gave me the idea to try and do a
> sync_file_range() with SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WRITE after writing each file
> to manually schedule writeback and surprisingly it fixed the problem.
> Is that an indication of a bug in the kernel that doesn't trigger
> writeback in time?

Yeah, it smells so. If you look at 1c610d5f93c7, we've had bug where we
even didn't kick flushers. So it seems they do not start to do a useful
work in time. I would start digging that direction.

> Also, you mentioned that the pagefault is probably due to a code page.
> Would another remedy be to lock the whole executable and dynamic
> libraries in memory with mlock() before starting the IO operations?

That looks like a big hammer to me.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs