Re: CGroups and pthreads

On Tue 28-01-14 17:00:19, Dermot McGahon wrote:
> Kernel version is 2.6.32 stock kernel for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
>
> Is there anyone on this list with good knowledge of how the memory subsystem
> behaves?

posting to linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx would give you higher chances to get a
reply.

> On 27 January 2014 16:36, Dermot McGahon <dmcgahon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is it possible to apply cgroup memory subsystem controls to threads
> > created with pthread_create() / clone or only tasks that have been
> > created using fork and exec?

Memory cgroup controller charges memory per address space which is
shared between threads.

[...]
> > Is that expected? I realise that the subsystems are all different
> > but what is confusing us slightly is that we have previously used
> > the CPU subsystem to set cpu_shares and adding LWP / TID's to
> > individual cgroups worked just fine for that

Please note that this will most probably change in the future because
all the containers will be per-task rather than per-thread.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs