Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Bucket Notifications v2 & Multisite Redundancy

responded inline

On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 3:05 PM Alex Hussein-Kershaw (HE/HIM) <
alexhus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Yuval,
>
> Thanks for the response. I did managed to disable the feature, however I
> hope you can understand my hesitancy to design our move away from pubsub
> onto a deprecated replacement (i.e. "notifications v1").
>

> agree. notification v2 provides better observability, e.g. list of
buckets that use topic etc.

> The difference between this and the other operations that require
> forwarding to the master site, for me, is that I don't rely on any of those
> operations for day-to-day function. For example, S3 user creation I do at
> deployment time and never again; so if I lose the ability to do that in the
> event of a site failure that's OK. Perhaps I just need to implement a
> process to ensure the remaining zone is quickly promoted on a site failure.
>

> this is probably the correct approach in multisite

> A further concern of the new feature... My intention is to use the bucket
> notification feature to send events generated by the multisite sync to my
> application server. If the topic is now multisite, will all kicks be
> duplicated? For example consider:
>
> SiteA receives an S3 write for object
> SiteA writes to the event queue and asynchronously delivers the event
> SiteB syncs object from siteA

we do not send regular notifications upon sync.
note that we have other type of notifications:
s3:ObjectSynced:*/s3:Replication:* that are sent only when an object is
synced