Re: MDS cache always increasing

Hello Sake,

The combination of two active MDSs and RHEL8 does ring a bell, and I
have seen this with Quincy, too. However, what's relevant is the
kernel version on the clients. If they run the default 4.18.x kernel
from RHEL8, please either upgrade to the mainline kernel or decrease
max_mds to 1. If they run a modern kernel, then it is something I do
not know about.

On Sat, Aug 31, 2024 at 1:21 PM Sake Ceph <ceph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> @Anthony: it's a small virtualized cluster and indeed SWAP shouldn't be used, but this doesn't change the problem.
>
> @Alexander: the problem is in the active nodes, the standby replay don't have issues anymore.
>
> Last night's backup run increased the memory usage to 86% when rsync was running for app2. It dropped to 77,8% when it was done. When the rsync for app4 was running it increased to 84% and dropping to 80%. After a few hours it's now settled on 82%.
> It looks to me the MDS server is caching something forever while it isn't being used..
>
> The underlying host is running on RHEL 8. Upgrade to RHEL 9 is planned, but hit some issues with automatically upgrading hosts.
>
> Kind regards,
> Sake

Alexander Patrakov