Re: squid release codename

> It's going to wreak havoc on search engines that can't tell when
> someone's looking up Ceph versus the long-establish Squid Proxy.

Search engines are way smarter than that, and I daresay that people are far more likely to search for “Ceph” or “Ceph squid" than for “squid” alone looking for Ceph.

> I don’t know how many more (sub)species there are to start over from A (the first release was Argonaut)

Ammonite is a natural, and two years later we *must* release Cthulhu.

Cartoon names run some risk of trademark issues.

> ...  that said, naming a *release* of a software with the name of
> well known other open source software is pure crazyness.

I haven’t seen the web cache used in years — maybe still in Antarctica?  These are vanity names for fun.  I’ve found that more people know the numeric release they run than the codename anyway.

> What's coming next? Ceph Redis? Ceph Apache? Or Apache Ceph?

Since you mention Apache, their “Spark” is an overload.  And Apache itself is cultural appropriation but that’s a tangent.

When I worked for Advanced Micro Devices we used the Auto Mounter Daemon

I’ve also used AMANDA for backups, which was not a Boston song.

Let’s not forget Apple’s iOS and Cisco’s IOS.

Ceph Octopus, and this cable https://usb.brando.com/usb-octopus-4-port-hub-cable_p999c39d15.html and of course this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/110473961774

The first Ceph release named after Jason’s posse.
Bobcat colliding with skid-loaders and Goldthwaite
Dumpling and gyoza
Firefly and the Uriah Heep album (though Demons & Wizards was better)
Giant and the Liz Taylor movie (and grocery store)
Hammer and Jan
Jewel and the singer
Moreover, Ceph Nautilus:
	Korg software
	Process engineering software
	CMS
	GNOME file manager
Firefox and the Clint Eastwood movie
Chrome and the bumper on a 1962 Karmann Ghia
Slack and the Linux distribution

When I worked for Cisco, people thought I was in food service.  Namespaces are crowded.  Overlap happens.  Context resolves readily.

Within the Cephapod scheme we’ve used Octopus and Nautilus, to not use Squid would be odd.  And Shantungendoceras doesn’t roll off the tongue.

“What’s in a name?”  - Shakespeare