Re: Accidentally created systemd units for OSDs

Been there/did that. Cried a lot. Fixed now.

Personally, I recommend the containerise/cephadm-managed approach. In a
lot of ways, it's simpler and it supports more than one fsid on a
single host.The downside is that the systemd names are really gnarly
(the full fsid is part of the unitname) and they're generated on-the-
fly so you won't find the unitnames in any of the systemd static
directories (/usr/lib/systemd/systemd and /etc/systemd/system).

As I recall, having 2 different managers for an OSD didn't hurt overall
operation that much, but it did make status reporting somewhat flakey.
Apparently different tools check OSDs differently.

The other problem is that the traditional (non-container) OSD
definitions are located under /var.lib/ceph, but the containerized OSDs
are under /var/lib/ceph/<fsid>. There are some softlinks involved so
that, for example, the OSD data itself may be shared between the two
OSD controllers, and that has the potential for conflict.

I think that the safest way to handle that is to completely nuke that
OSD in both its forms, then re-create it according to your mode of
choice. That can take a long time, but shortcuts may make things worse.

Pity that Ceph can't detect and prevent that sort of stuff, but such is
life.

   Tim