Upgrading RGW before cluster?

Hi all,

The Ceph documentation has always recommended upgrading RGWs last when doing a upgrade. Is there a reason for this? As they're mostly just RADOS clients you could imagine the order doesn't matter as long as the cluster and RGW major versions are compatible. Our basic testing has shown no obvious issues (with Pacific RGWs and a Nautilus cluster FWIW).

I'm asking because in our case it would be handy to upgrade our gateway infrastructure first, not for any new RGW features, but just for scheduling the operations.

Is this a terrible idea?

If it helps, this is the first step in a Nautilus -> Pacific -> Reef plan, with no cephadm.

Thanks,
Tom