Re: Ceph Logging Configuration and "Large omap objects found"

Hi,

ceph log last 10 warn cluster

That outputs nothing for me. Any docs about this?

not any good docs, I'm afraid. At some point I stumbled across 'ceph log last cephadm' and played around a bit to see what else you can get from that. The help command shows some useful information:

log last [<num:int>] [<level:debug|info|sec|warn|error>] [<channel:*|cluster|audit|cephadm>] print last few lines of the cluster log

But I agree, there should be a section in the docs for that. I'm adding Zac in CC, maybe there is already some work going on in that regard.

The message says cluster log. But even if it were the OSD logs, am I supposed to grep every single OSD log for it?

That's where the 'ceph log last' commands should help you out, but I don't know why you don't see it, maybe increase the number of lines to display or something?

BTW, which ceph version are we talking about here?

Zitat von Janek Bevendorff <janek.bevendorff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Thanks all.

ceph log last 10 warn cluster

That outputs nothing for me. Any docs about this?

I don't have much to comment about logging, I feel you though. I just wanted to point out that the details about the large omap object should be in the (primary) OSD log, not in the MON log:

The message says cluster log. But even if it were the OSD logs, am I supposed to grep every single OSD log for it?

If you’re getting much volume to mon logs maybe you aren’t setting the level in a way that’s taking effect. Should mostly be quorum status and compaction results.
I have set log levels, but it's largely ignored for the cluster log. There was an issue about this a few years back, I just can't find it right now.