snaptrim not making progress

Hi all,

our cluster is octopus latest. We seem to have a problem with snaptrim. On a pool for HDD RBD images I observed today that all PGs are either in state snaptrim or snaptrim_wait. It looks like the snaptrim process does not actually make any progress. There is no CPU activity by these OSDs indicating they would do snaptrimming (usuallu they would at least use 50% CPU as shown in top). I also don't see anything in the OSD logs.

For our VMs we run daily snapshot rotation and snaptrim usually finishes within a few minutes. We had a VM with disks on that pool cause an error due to a hanging virsh domfsfreeze command. This, however, is routine, we see this happening every now and then without any follow-up issues. I'm wondering now if we might have hit a race for the first time. Is there anything on an RBD image or pool that could block snaptrim from starting or progressing?

Thanks for any pointers!