From: Alex Hussein-Kershaw (HE/HIM) <alexhus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2024 12:48 PM
To: Eugen Block <eblock@xxxxxx>; ceph-users@xxxxxxx <ceph-users@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL]  Re: RGW Multisite with a Self-Signed CA

Hi Eugen,

Thanks for the advice - I've tried something similiar but no luck (my base OS is RHEL 9, so the paths don't quite line up with yours, I have no /var/lib/ca-certificates directory). I can curl inside the RGW container to the remote site and it is happy with the certificate as per below.

$ curl https://10.235.22.23:7480
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><ListAllMyBucketsResult xmlns="http://s3.amazonaws.com/doc/2006-03-01/";><Owner><ID>anonymous</ID><DisplayName></DisplayName></Owner><Buckets></Buckets></ListAllMyBucketsResult>

But the sync still fails in one direction. Triggering that manually lets me get a packet capture.
$ radosgw-admin data  sync init    --source-zone=siteB
ERROR: sync.init() returned ret=-5
2024-07-16T11:40:20.051+0000 7f21e3c30a80  0 ERROR: failed to fetch datalog info

It's is still showing the "Unknown CA" error in the TLS handshake. I saw an issue over at Rook which looked similar: Ceph multisite replication with ssl untrusted certs · Issue #9584 · rook/rook (github.com)<https://github.com/rook/rook/issues/9584>, which had a suggestion that it's not just the RGW containers that require the trust. That seems surprising to me, not sure if I believe it.

As I mentioned in my initial question, this does seem to work fine for us on Octopus with the Centos8 container base so not sure if something has changed in either Ceph or in the move to the Centos stream 8 base image.  I'm going to keep digging to see if I can work it out, but welcome any other suggestions.

Kind regards,
Alex