Converting/Migrating EC pool to a replicated pool

Hi,

we recently expanded a ceph cluster with a second site and want to distribute data accordingly. Two replicate should be present on one site, one replicate on the other site.

This works well for replicated pools, but not for EC pool, e.g. the RGW data pool. I've added a second (replicated) storage class to RGW and moved most of the data to it via lifecycle operations. Now about 670 GB are left in the EC pool, mostly the head objects which cannot be moved.

I'm looking for the best method to migrate the existing EC pool to a replicated pool, keeping the downtime a small as possible. So far two methods seem to be feasible:

1. Cache tiering

Setup cache tiering with the EC pool as frontend pool and a replicated target pool as backend pool. Set cache mode to proxy and evict all objects from the EC pool the replicated pool. This will reduce the downtime to a minimum (stopping all RGW instances, changes the pool name in the placement definition, restart instance). But I'm not sure whether a EC pool can acts as frontend pool at all. And cache tiering is deprecated, so there might be other downfalls.

2. Export / Import

Stop all RGW instances, export the EC pool's content with "rados export", and import it into the target pool. This should be a safe method, but will require a significant longer downtime (probably 24+ hours).

Are there any other options? I also evaluated working bucket wise by creating a second placement set, disable access to a bucket, move all objects belonging to that bucket from one pool to the other (identifiable via the bucket's marker), change the placement setting of the bucket and reenable access. Unfortunately I've didn't found a good method to temporarily disable bucket access.

Best regards,

Burkhard Linke