From: Drew Weaver <drew.weaver@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2024 3:16 PM
To: 'ceph-users@xxxxxxx'
Subject:  Repurposing some Dell R750s for Ceph

Hello,

We would like to repurpose some Dell PowerEdge R750s for a Ceph cluster.

Currently the servers have one H755N RAID controller for each 8 drives. (2 total)

I have been asking their technical support what needs to happen in order for us to just rip out those raid controllers and cable the backplane directly to the motherboard/PCIe lanes and they haven't been super enthusiastic about helping me. I get it just buy another 50 servers, right? No big deal.

I have the diagrams that show how each configuration should be connected, I think I just need the right cable(s), my question is has anyone done this work before and was it worth it?

Also bonus if anyone has an R750 that has the drives directly connected to the backplane and can find the part number of the cable that connects the backplane to the motherboard I would greatly appreciate that part number. My sales guys are "having a hard time locating it".

Thanks,
-Drew