Re: OSD service specs in mixed environment

>> But this in a spec doesn't match it:
>>
>> size: '7000G:'
>>
>> This does:
>>
>> size: '6950G:'

There definitely is some rounding within Ceph, and base 2 vs base 10 shenanigans.

> $ cephadm shell ceph-volume inventory /dev/sdc --format json | jq .sys_api.human_readable_size
> "3.64 TB"

Ceph like humans thinks in terms of base 2 units, e.g. GiB and TiB. Storage manufacturers are, well, mustelids and almost always express in terms of base 10 units, GB and TB, because they read as slightly higher.

> The 'size:' spec you set is in GB (only GB and MB are supported). However, ceph-volume inventory output can use other units (TB in this example). Therefore, the orchestrator first converts both values to bytes. Since the ceph-volume inventory produces a figure with only 2 decimals and the conversion uses powers of 10 (1e+9 for GB, 1e+12 for TB), the matching size here would be "size: 3640GB". This was confirmed by my testing a few months ago.
>
> If my understanding is correct, it may be worth adding to the doc [2] that the device size is human_readable_size in TB from ceph-volume inventory x 10 GB.

Please enter a tracker ticket for this with details and tag me.  Do you mean x1000 not x10?