How can I increase or decrease the number of osd backfilling instantly

Hi All,

I'd like to speed up or slow down osd recovery in ceph v18.2.1.
According to the page (
https://www.suse.com/ko-kr/support/kb/doc/?id=000019693 ), I understand
that osd_max_backfills, osd_recovery_max_active have to be increased or
decreased.
but It seems not to impact the number of osd backfilling instantly. so I
tried to restart all of the osds even though I didn't need to restart osds.
I wonder how long it takes to show that the number of backfilling is
increased or decreased If the osds is not restarted. and Is there a way to
increase or decrease the number of backfilling instantly after the
configuration is changed.