Re: Attention: Documentation - mon states and names

Joel,

Thank you for this message. This is a model of what in a perfect world user communication with upstream documentation could be.

I identify four things in your message that I can work on immediately:

1. leader/peon documentation improvement
2. Ceph command-presentation convention standardization
3. Standardizing the strings returned by various monitor-related commands
4. alpha notation -- not observed by Davidow in the field in cephadm clusters

Here are my thoughts, respectively:

1. I've already incorporated your suggestion into the documentation: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/57957. Thank you for this.
2. For two years, I have kept notes about adding braces and brackets and angle brackets to the documentation to clear up these ambiguities. I will begin here.
3. This is far beyond my art, but a man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for? I'll ask if anyone upstream can do anything about this.
4. I will ask Radoslaw about this.

I have quoted your email in full below, and I have numbered the four parts of your email with the schema I've used here. I hope that it is formatted correctly.

Zac Dover
Upstream Documentation
Ceph Foundation

On Tuesday, June 11th, 2024 at 5:33 AM, Joel Davidow <jdavidow@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> As this is my first submission to the Ceph docs, I want to start by saying
> a big thank you to the Ceph team for all the efforts that have been put
> into improving the docs. The improvements already made have been many and
> have made it easier for me to operate Ceph.

> In
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-mon/#the-cluster-has-quorum-but-at-least-one-monitor-is-down,
> the section "What does it mean when a Monitor’s state is `leader` or
> `peon`?" discusses those two mon states only in the context of an issue
> that has a health detail entry.
>
> However, the title of that section is not scoped to just that particular
> case and so could lead to confusion because during normal Ceph operations,
> there is a mon that has state leader and the other mons have state peon, as
> can be seen by the values of state returned by ceph tell <mon_name>
>
> mon_status.
>
> To alleviate any such confusion, I recommend inserting the following before
> the existing text in that section: "During normal Ceph operations when the
> cluster is in the HEALTH_OK state, one monitor in the Ceph cluster will be
> in the leader state and the rest of the monitors will be in the peon state.
> The state of a given monitor can be determined by examining the value of
> the state key returned by ceph tell <mon_name> mon_status."

II

> Note the difference of convention in ceph command presentation. In
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-mon/#understanding-mon-status,
> mon.X uses X to represent the portion of the command to be replaced by the
> operator with a specific value. However, that may not be clear to all
> readers, some of whom may read that as a literal X. I recommend switching
> convention to something that makes visually explicit any portion of a
> command that an operator has to replace with a specific value. One such
> convention is to use <> as delimiters marking the portion of a command that
>
> an operator has to replace with a specific value, minus the delimiters
> themselves. I'm sure there are other conventions that would accomplish the
> same goal and provide the <> convention as an example only.

III

> Also, the actual name of a mon is not clear due to the variety of mon name
> formats. The value of the NAME column returned by ceph orch ps
> --daemon-type mon and the return from ceph mon dump follow the format of
> mon.<host> whereas the value of name returned by ceph tell <mon_name>
>
> mon_status, the mon line returned by ceph -s, and the return from ceph mon
> stat follow the format of <host>. Unifying the return for the mon name
>
> value of all those commands could be helpful in establishing the format of
> a mon name, though that is probably easier said than done.

IV