Re: Safe method to perform failback for RBD on one way mirroring.

Hi,

I think there might be a misunderstanding about one-way-mirroring. It really only mirrors one way, from A to B. In case site A fails, you can promote the images in B and continue using those images. But there's no automated way back, because it's only one way. When site A comes back, you would need to sync the changes from B manually (or some self scripted way).

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Saif Mohammad <samdto987@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hello Everyone

We have Clusters in production with the following configuration:
Cluster-A :  quincy v17.2.5
Cluster-B :  quincy v17.2.5
All images in a pool have the snapshot feature enabled and are mirrored.
Each site has 3 daemons.

We're testing disaster recovery with one-way mirroring in our block device mirroring setup. On the primary site (Cluster-A), we have Ceph clients attached to it , and couple of images are present there. These images are replicated to the secondary site (Cluster-B). During testing we've successfully conducted failovers, with all resources accessible from Cluster-B once the Ceph client is attached there on secondary site.

However, during failback (restoring the primary site), we've encountered an issue. Data that was pushed from the secondary site seems to be deleted, while data originally present only on the primary site remains intact. Here are the steps we took during failback:
- Detached the client from Cluster-B.
- Ensured that on Cluster-B, "mirroring primary" is set to true, and on Cluster-A, it's set to false.
- Demoted the images on Cluster-B and promoted the images on Cluster-A.

After performing these steps, our images went into an error state, and they started syncing from Cluster-A to Cluster-B. However, in a failback scenario, the direction should be from Cluster-B to Cluster-A.

We are not sure where we are making mistakes. Could anybody please advise on the correct procedure for failback in one-way mirroring and the safest way to execute it to avoid impacting our data.

Regards,
Mohammad Saif