Re: does the RBD client block write when the Watcher times out?

> I found that if the client is isolated from the network for
> a long time, the Watcher is released. However, the client still mounts
> this image. In this situation, if another client can also mount this
> image and the image is writable from both clients, data corruption
> occurs. Could you tell me whether this is a realistic scenario?
I've had a similar scenario which resulted in a pretty nasty corruption. RBD image was mapped on a client which got suspended, then changes were made by another client, forgetting that the image was still mapped. It is realistic and cannot be avoided easily as it's difficult to differentiate between a network downtime and sudden host shutdown (power loss/system crash/etc...).

> I considered using exclusive lock and restricting access to those from
> a single node. However, we gave up on that as blocking writes entirely
> would make snapshots non-functional.
Exclusive locks are a option, but i've encountered a pretty nasty bug with them under high load on krbd. I have not reported this problem yet, but if my memory serves me right, it happened during network instability with lots of I/O pending.

--
Alex D.
RedXen System & Infrastructure Administration