Re: CephFS as Offline Storage

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 08:54:26PM +0000, Eugen Block wrote:
> It’s usually no problem to shut down a cluster. Set at least the noout flag,
> the other flags like norebalance, nobackfill etc won’t hurt either. Then
> shut down the servers. I do that all the time with test clusters (they do
> have data, just not important at all), and I’ve never had data loss after
> powering them back on. When all OSDs are up, unset the flags and let it
> scrub. Usually, the (deep-)scrubbing will start almost immediately.

One surprise I have with the Ubuntu test cluster (non-containerized,
Ubuntu packages) that I regularly shut down is that the signals from log
rotation (I assume) to Ceph daemons interfere with Ceph startup. When
rebooted after some days, it is the same on all nodes: no Ceph daemon is
running.
Workaround: another reboot

Matthias